Am I eligible?
Harris Initial Teacher Education offers a unique training route to achieving Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) and we are keen to attract the highest-quality candidates. In order to apply for a place on our courses you must have:
- A UK undergraduate degree (grade 2:2 or above) or a recognised equivalent qualification*
- A grade 4/C in the GCSE examinations in English and Mathematics, or equivalent*
- A grade 4/C in the GCSE examination in a Science subject, or equivalent* if you intend to train to teach at Primary level
- If you intend to train to teach Primary with Mathematics, you will need a B or above at A-level in Maths or Maths-related subject
*NARIC verification is required for all overseas degree and GCSE equivalent qualifications
If you are not sure about eligibility, please contact us or complete our Expression of Interest form, which allows you to give some details about yourself before you embark on a formal application process. You can also read more about eligibility on the Get Into Teaching website.
Please see additional information for overseas students.
What kind of qualities and experience do I need?
Here’s a quick overview of the qualities and abilities we are looking for in our trainee teachers.
You as a person
- Empathy and great interpersonal skills
- The ability to prioritise effectively
- Dedication and determination in the face of challenges
- Reflective and committed to self-development
- Strong organisational and communication skills
- Committed and reliable
You as a teacher
- Strong believer in education as a driving force for social justice
- Passion and commitment to improving the lives of young people
- Classroom management and pedagogical instincts
- Understanding of the role and responsibilities of a teacher
You as a subject or phase specialist
- Passion for your subject and/or phase
- Subject knowledge and background experience
- Ability to explain subject concepts
- Initiative and analytical ability
- High standards of English and mathematics