Harris Initial Teacher Education
Modern Languages Course
Age range: 11 to 16
Course length: Full-time 1 year (Part-time also available)
Course fee: £9,250 (UK and International students)
Course Code: 2B66
Date you can apply from: TBC
Date course starts: September 2023
Qualification: PGCE with QTS
About the course
Our full-time courses last for one academic year, from September to July. As a trainee teacher, you’ll be based at one of our 52 Harris Federation academies or partner schools, where you’ll learn to teach alongside expert classroom practitioners in an exciting, vibrant environment. During the course you will spend one day a week at Core Training, based at Harris Academy Bermondsey in South East London. The rest of your time is spent in your school placement. School Direct is an immersive programme where you will be teaching across the year.
The training sessions are facilitated by our expert practitioners who will model outstanding planning, teaching and assessment, to support your development as a teacher. You will have lots of opportunities to interact and learn from peers from across subjects and phases.
Languages included in this course:
There are a number of Subject-specific training days as part of the Core Training which includes the following content as a minimum:
- Managing Behaviour Effectively in Languages
- Languages Curriculum - KS3 Planning and Teaching
- Assessment in Languages
- Meeting the Needs of All Learners in Languages
- Teaching Grammar and the Uniqueness of Spanish, French & Chinese
- Languages Curriculum - Teaching GCSE
- Cognitive Science in Languages
- Exploiting Film, Song and Texts
- Technology in Languages
- Transitions: Primary and Key stage 5
Assessment and Accreditation
Course arrangements and content may be subject to change in line with training partnerships with DfE requirements.
- The Harris School Direct programme leads to the award of QTS through Harris Initial Teacher Education (an accredited SCITT provider), with PGCE and Master’s Level Credits awarded in partnership with Kingston University.
- As a trainee teacher, you will be assessed holistically against the Harris ITE Curriculum, across the training year in both your school-based training and Core Training. By the end of the course, this will enable you to demonstrate that you have met the Teachers’ Standards as required for Qualified Teacher Status.
- The elements that make up the holistic assessment include: Mentor reports; Evidence bundles; Final QTS Assessment panel presentation; Subject and curriculum knowledge; Attendance and punctuality; Professional behaviours; Mathematics and English proficiencies; and engagement and input in training.
- The PGCE element of the programme is assessed by: Master’s level assignments; School experience.
Financial support from the government
You’ll get a bursary of £15,000 if you have a degree of 2:2 or above in any subject.
- a degree of 2:2 or above in any subject
You do not have to apply for a bursary - if you’re eligible, you’ll automatically start receiving it once you begin your course.
You may be eligible for a loan while you study.
Find out about financial support if you're from outside the uk.